We began the day in the beautiful resort city of Eilat, Israel. I took an early morning walk with a bright blue sky down to the waterfront of the Red Sea. Eilat is the southern most city of Israel, providing Israel with a strategic port on the Red Sea. It is clearly a resort city with numerous hotels. It is the place were Solomon mined beautiful stone for the temple.
We crossed the border into Jordan and noticed a marked difference immediately. We traveled p the Kings Highway in the land of Edom. Edom means red and it is very obvious why it is called such from the red rocks and mountains. We rode through the land where our Lord led and provided for His people with manna from heaven. I will never think of the wilderness wanderings the same again! I was amazed at how the Lord could have provided for 2 million people in such a desolate and rough land. Our Lord leads us through trials and testings before e brings s to the fulfillment of His promises and fulness of His blessings! We came to Petra in the valley of Moses. This is the area where Moses smote the rock twice and therefore was not allowed to enter the land for disobeying the Lord and dishonoring the type God planned of Christ. We saw Mount Hor where Aaron was buried. Tomorrow we will see Mount Nebo where Moses was allowed to view the land before he died. How sad to think Moses missed the experience of God's blessings due to his disobedience. How often we too miss out on God's best for us, because we don't trust and obey Him.
Petra was a phenomenal place. A place of ornate grave from an ancient people who hoped for an after life more than loving this life. Bedouins who prepared their tombs more than their homes. Petra got us around around the local bedouin people where we could sense the culture and the need. Petra was great, but I think the trip through the wilderness taught me the most today. Tomorrow the land of Moab! What a wonder that some of God's people were contented with this side of Jordan, when God had such a better blessing for them on the other side of the Jordan river. ow often are we contented with this world instead f following the Lord to His greatest promises.
My heart is full and praise the Lord for the privilege to come here!! I know the best is yet to come. By God's grace, I must come again and bring others to experience the blessing of seeing this land which brings the Scripture into 3 dimension.
6 comments:
Thanks for the pictures and for your thoughts and reflections from what you have experience so far. It makes me all the more desirous to be able to go and experience some of what you are experiencing and learning. We are continuing to pray for you all.
Pastor,
The Lord gave great wisdom to Stewart Custer when he titled his book "Stones of Wittness". I would be satisfied to tour the desert in Israel for several weeks. The Lord has given us so much, and we trust Him so little. I trust the best of your visit is yet to come :)
Jonathan Shafer
I was looking at your hotel last night on google earth. It's a helpful tool. I was able to see the road that you took today into Jordan. Did you discuss the thought or possibility that some believe the remnant of Israel would find refuge down in Petra?
Israel Team,
In my devotions this morning I found Luke 20:38. "For He is not a God of the dead, but of the living; for all live unto Him."
It would be nice to add this to the side of the tour bus :)
Anna and those at the wailing wall really need to grasp this verse.
I am praying with you!
Jonathan Shafer
The pictures are breathtaking and the insight you provide brings it all to life! My heart was filled this morning as I read your thoughts on the wilderness. Your reflections each day have been a devotional break. Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences. I'm praying for all of you daily. This trip has been such a blessing to my heart. I feel as if I'm there with you.
Rita
Pastor:
I'm sure you are going to have a number of penetrating illustrations from this trip that we'll have the privilege to hear in upcoming sermons.
If you are able to post some pictures from places like Bethlehem, or sites such as Golgotha that would be great.
Lou
Post a Comment